CYSO offers four ensembles:
- Sinfonia: The youngest musicians play in this string ensemble. The focus is on music education and basic technique. The primary goal is to develop solid fundamentals of string playing and sensitivity as an ensemble musician.
- Philharmonia: This group introduces wind instruments into an intermediate string ensemble. Students work on full orchestra repertoire as well as strings-only compositions. This is an excellent starting point for full orchestra experience.
- Symphony: A full symphony orchestra composed of our most skilled musicians. The Symphony works on the most advanced orchestra literature available.
- Wind Ensemble: All wind and brass players will work with a conductor during the last hour of Monday rehearsals on chamber music specifically arranged to further their skills. The wind ensemble will perform chamber pieces on each CYSO concert.
CYSO auditions for the 2017-18 season
Openings for all instruments.
Submit the application below.
New musician auditions are by appointment on May 6th and May 13th between 10am and 3pm. Sign up now!
The $30 fee is due the day of your audition. Check or credit card only (no cash please).
Auditions usually run about seven minutes and consist of a solo or etude, scales, and sight-reading.
- Solo: A three-minute section of a work of your choice that demonstrates your level and ability.
Sight-Reading: You'll be expected to sight-read a piece chosen by the judges.
- Sinfonia: Be prepared to play G-Major and F-Major scales, as many octaves as you're comfortable with
- Philharmonia: Be prepared to play two-octave major scales through 3 flats and 3 sharps
- Symphony: Any major scale, two octaves or more